Our Mission Statement
United in Christ's love, we of Pisgah Lutheran Church are called to be servants of God, members of His family, sharing and caring, learning and teaching, grounded in the Scriptures and the Lutheran confessions, yet with a vision of ministry that extends beyond our community to all people.
Pisgah Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1879 by the Reverend Barnabus "Barney" Kreps (1829-1887). Pastor Kreps served Pisgah, as well as, Union and Bethlehem in Leesville for five years following the organization of the congregation (1879-1884). Pisgah was begun on a tract of land given by two sets of brothers – John J. and Martin Luther Kyzer, and John J. and Martin Luther Taylor. It remains on this same tract near the intersection of Pisgah Church and Rawl Roads, west of the town of Lexington.
Pisgah's name (Piz'-gah) is a Hebrew word which means "top" or "head" and comes from a mountaintop in the Holy Land which was the highest peak of Mt. Nebo from which Moses saw the Promised Land. It was here that God called Moses out of this world to dwell eternally with Him in Heaven.
The first Parish Register was begun in 1880. The original constitution containing ten articles was adopted at the date of organization and was written in longhand. It is kept in Pisgah's safe deposit box. The first sanctuary was dedicated on Sunday, September 25, 1886.
A parish/educational building was built and dedicated on Sunday, October 24, 1954.
Pisgah became a self-supporting congregation in 1964. The congregation was without a pastor during her first year of independence. Worship was conducted by students and faculty of the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia, SC.
The Rev. William E. Stone became the first fulltime Pastor of Pisgah on June 6, 1966. A Planning Council was named to make a comprehensive study of the need for a new church. The Rev. Dermont Fritz Swicegood was installed as Pisgah's Pastor on July 20, 1969. A Building Committee for a new church sanctuary was approved on October 26, 1969. Groundbreaking was held on Sunday, October 4, 1970. The new sanctuary was completed and the cornerstone laid on Sunday, November 21, 1971. The contemporary design brick structure with a free-standing altar is a masterpiece in architectural craftsmanship. There is extensive use of wood and wrought iron. The church was officially dedicated to the Glory of God on Passion Sunday, March 19, 1972. A gymnatorium was constructed in 1977.
Fire, caused by lightning, destroyed the educational wing of Pisgah on Saturday, August 9, 1980. Pisgah was without the leadership of a pastor at the time. Pastor Swicegood returned to hold services for the congregation in the gym the following morning.
The Rev. Henry Mahone Moody, Jr. was installed as Pisgah's fifteenth Pastor on December 14, 1980. It was with his leadership that ground was broken in February 1981 for the reconstruction of the educational/administrative wing.
The Rev. Clarence Kesler Derrick, Jr. became the Pastor of Pisgah on January 15, 1991. Pastor Derrick served until his retirement in June 1995.
The Rev. Gerald Daniel Bacon was called as the seventeenth Pastor of Pisgah on May 1, 1996. It was during his tenure that Pisgah's Child Development Ministry was started. The Groundbreaking ceremony was held on Sunday, August 26, 2007, for construction of a new educational wing to house the CDM, a new kitchen, and incorporate the existing gymnatorium.
The main entrance was moved from the right side to the front of the building providing a new gathering area inside with a covered portico and covered drive-through. The sacristy was enlarged and new offices provided for the Pastor, Youth Minister, and Parish Administrator; these were located adjacent to one another to be more accessible to one another. Both a large and a small conference room were provided and the choir room was moved closer to the sanctuary. This project was completed and Pisgah's Child Development Ministry opened for children to attend in summer 2008. Pisgah Child Development Ministry is part of the overall ministry of Pisgah Lutheran Church serving ages two through four years via our Preschool program and children two years to fifth grade through our after school and summer programs.
The Rev. Christine DeWerth Stoxen received her Master of Divinity degree from Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary. She was ordained at Pisgah by the Bishop of the SC Synod of the ELCA on May 14, 2000. She served Pisgah as Assistant Pastor, mainly focused on ministry to youth and children, from May 2000 until August 2004. Pastor Chris was largely responsible for the beginning of Pisgah's Child Development Ministry.
What We Believe
That God, the Father, created each of us and all that exists; that God is the ruler of the universe.
That God, the Son, Jesus Christ, in His death and resurrection frees us from sin and death; that Jesus came bringing the rule of God in our daily lives; that Jesus came making known the love and mercy of God for all people.
That God, the Holy Spirit, is at work in our lives and the world to remake them according to God’s will.
That the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments are the inspired Word of God; that God’s Word comes to us as both Law and Gospel.
That we encounter the Living God in the means of Grace: God’s Word, baptism, and communion.
That in order to understand what we believe you need to participate in the life of the church.
That the confession of faith of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America more fully expresses what we believe.
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America